Monday, February 20, 2012

Killer Kleenex- FOOD ALLERGY ALERT!!

Ok, so as you all know, I'm a total nerd/dork/dweeb/freak with way too much time on my hands.

The story goes as such:

My besty (insert dorky Big Bang Theory reference here) and I were out shopping one day at the drug store and I found a box of Kleenex that claims it 'Stays Cool'. Impossible I thought to myself so I swiped one of the free samples and shoved it in my pocket. I kept this kleenex a secret for a few days because I was a bit apprehensive of the mockery that could ensue upon my claiming Kleenex now has the ability to stay cold. BUT IT DOES!!  Kleenex Cool Touch. So me being me I bought a box at a cost of nearly $4. A few days later I decided to read the ingredients list on the packaging to see if I could determine the active 'cooling' ingredient(s). Most people (unlike myself and my pal) are not as adept at understanding these in-organic chemical ingredients (mind you, why would Kleenex have so many chemicals in it anyway?) but I did notice one very much organic ingredient - Cocos Nucifera, also known as coconut oil.

As it happens, and this is what sparked my interest, I work with a young man who is highly allergic to every nut under the Tuscan sun (except the peanut- go figure) including coconut. We maintain a rule in our little work space that there is at least two epipens on site at all times as we do work with nuts in our little fine-dining establishment.

So my question of the day (and no I did not test this theory nor do I wish to) will this kleenex kill my work counterpart? I am sitting here with the box in front of me and alas it has no written warning on the box that it does indeed contain a nut ingredient that could potentially induce an anaphylaxis reaction. Why?
I know when I roast Hazelnuts at work my co-worker has to leave the building to avoid a near death experience. I am currently on the phone with Kleenex to get my question answered... Awaiting response.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew people could be allergic to coconuts. Although i can't count myself as an allergy (or coconut) expert.

BTW peanuts grow in the ground unlike most other nuts (including coconuts) that grow on trees (hence classified as tree nuts). So in theory it is possible to be allergic to all nuts and be perfectly fine with peanuts or vice versa. :)

End of nerd alert :)

*I CLAVDIVS* said...

I called the number on the Kleenex box and they are frantically contacting their research and development departments because and I quote " we don't want a lawsuit on our hands"...lol

*I CLAVDIVS* said...

It's been a week tomorrow and still no word back from the Kleenex people!

Vegas said...

Thanks for the great write up. The labels on the box still aren't changed. What a potenial killer!